Over Memorial Weekend Mike and I embarked upon an epic Northern California road trip to the Mighty Redwoods in Humbolt County.
You can see our route here – nearly 1,000 miles and 15 hours in the car!
Here Are Our Top Ten Favorite Experiences:
1. Sunset Boat Ride in Eureka with Captain Steve
2. Watching a Leg of the Famous Kinetic Sculpture Race
This 3-day, 42 mile “triathlon of the art world” is a BIG deal in Eureka.
3. The Big Trees in Humbolt Redwoods State Park
We were a bit underwhelmed by Avenue of the Giants. The good stuff is in HRSP.
4. Wildlife Sightings
5. Watching a Baby Whale Play at Patrick Point State Park
I didn’t get a picture of the whale because I didn’t want to take my eyes off of it, but it was playing in the cove off to the left.
6. The Cheese Curds at Loleta Cheese Factory
7. Coastline at Trinidad
This reminded us of the Cinque Terre in Italy.
8. Dinner Over the Campfire
9. View from Cow Mountain
We stopped over here on the long drive north because the camping was free. But reaching the sites took so long we probably burned the cost of a campsite in gas. Good thing the views were pretty amazing.
10. Driving the Lost Coast
11. (BONUS!) The Craft Beer-Tasting!