Although I have literally had cookies on the brain for the past three months and have anxiously awaited the time for when it is socially acceptable to begin holiday baking, I struggled with what I wanted to make for this. I am certain I agonized more over my cookie recipe options than I did my wedding dress.
Anyhoo, I ended up settling on Lemon Coconut Snowballs because 1. I couldn’t get the recipe out of my head after I saw it and 2. They are the closest thing I’ll see to real snowballs in San Francisco any time soon.
Lemon Coconut Snowballs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and extracts, beating well. Add flour, lemon rind, and salt, beating until combined. Stir in coconut. Cover and chill dough 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into generous 1″ balls; place 1″ apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden on bottom, but pale on top. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool 5 minutes.
- Place 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar in a bowl, and roll warm cookies in powdered sugar, coating well. Cool cookies completely on wire racks. Roll cooled cookies in powdered sugar again, coating well.
The Send Off
After finishing work on these pretty labor-intensive cookies, I packaged them up to mail to my matches! I once again typed the cookie recipes up on my vintage typewriter. I’d like to report that I had fewer botched drafts than last year, but no dice.
My matches who received my cookies were:
- Inside BruCrew Life: http://www.insidebrucrewlife.com
- Rhubarb and Honey: http://rhubarbandhoney.com/
- The Girly Girl Cooks: http://thegirlygirlcooks.blogspot.com/
What Did I Receive?
Of course a cookie swap isn’t only one-sided. I received some fun cookies which were:
- Sour Cream Horns from http://cassiecramer.wordpress.com/
- Brown Sugar Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie with Peanut Brittle (I think I burned a cookie worth of calories just saying this!) from http://noshon.it/
- Monster Cookies from http://www.stephsbitebybite.com/