Now I know a cookie which contains both a fruit and a vegetable may not appeal to some initially, but give these guys a chance. I promise you they taste very similar to a regular oatmeal raisin cookie and still contribute to your five-a-day. The pumpkin pie spice also bridges the gap between summer vegetable and fall flavor.
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 cups whole wheat four
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup raisins
- In a medium bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg then stir in the zucchini. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice; stir into the zucchini mixture. Mix in oatmeal and raisins. Cover dough and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven until set. Allow cookies to cool slightly on the cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.