I love to bake, but I typically will “health-ify” a dessert recipe to make it more of a snack for Mike to take to work. I look for recipes that use yogurt or bananas instead of oil or butter or I will substitute applesauce for oil and always reduce the sugar.
These cookies turned out a lot more fluffy than I expected, but they are easy to make, low sugar, high in protein and all around a pretty healthy snack. Enjoy!
Almond Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- optional: 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- optional: 1/3-1/2 c chocolate chips or coconut flakes
- Combine dry ingredients
- Combine moist ingredients
- Mix dry and moist ingredients together.
- Cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Drop teaspoons of batter on a parchment-lined cookie sheet or baking sheet for cookies.
- Flatten with a fork if you like.
- Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes – edges will be slightly browned